It seems hard to believe, but spring is nearly here. After a busy holiday season, now is the time to take stock of our eCommerce sites and do some serious spring cleaning.
Although many online retailers would like to think that their eCommerce stores are evergreen, the truth is that store pages can become outdated, and databases can get cluttered. As a result, SEO will take a hit if neglected for too long.
To keep your revenue and conversions at an all-time high, we have created a list of must-dos to spruce up your eCommerce store. This way, you won’t miss any of the critical areas that need to be freshened up for a profitable season.
Review Your SEO
This is one of the first things that online retailers should be doing as part of their spring cleaning. Not only will it impact how you clean up the rest of your eCommerce site, but SEO strategies simply need regular checkups to remain effective.
Here are some essential areas of SEO you should be reviewing:
• Keyword research: Are your customers still using the same keywords and phrases to search for your products? Any new keywords will be used throughout your site to improve your online visibility.
• Scan for broken links: Broken links will annoy users and cause them to bounce from your site (and it lowers your Google rankings). You can find a free broken links tool online to help you scan your site quickly.
• Review content performance: What content performed best? Which failed to resonate with users? Repurpose, update, or delete old content so that you can boost your SEO.
Update Store Pages
When was the last time you reviewed your FAQs, About Me page, or store policies? These pages are easy to neglect, but they are important to your users who need additional information before they make a purchase.
Even if your policies and FAQs don’t need to be updated, there is usually room for improvement when it comes to your About Me page. This page is your chance to establish yourself as an authority in your industry and give users a better understanding of who you are and what you do. Work on creating a captivating About Me page to increase your leads and conversions.
Clear Out Old Inventory
Now that winter is coming to an end, you may have old inventory that needs to be dealt with or products that are simply not selling. These products are taking up valuable space that could be used for new spring products instead.
What exactly should you do with this excess inventory? Fortunately, you have options for getting rid of excess inventory with minimal losses:
• Offer a flash sale: Flash sales last anywhere from 24-36 hours and can help you get your old products off your digital shelves. Offer customers big discounts on these items to encourage them to make a purchase.
• Market discounts based on customer segments: Some customers love a good deal. You can create segments based off the past buying habits of your customers and market your new promotions (such as bundled discounts) more effectively.
• Offer free shipping on clearance items: Online shoppers love free shipping and good deals. Give them both by offering free shipping on all clearance items, and you are bound to free up some inventory space.
• Sell on other channels: If you’re having a hard time getting rid of holiday inventory, you can always try selling them on sites such as Amazon or eBay. They will take some of the cut, but you may not need to mark down your products as much to sell on these sites.
Clean Up Your Database
A final must-do on your spring cleaning list is to clean up your messy marketing database. Even smaller eCommerce stores accumulate data every day and, as time goes on, our databases can get clogged up with inaccurate data.
Many marketers aren’t aware of how bad data can hurt their marketing campaigns. Bad data can trigger spam filters, which makes it even harder for your emails to reach a person’s inbox.
To make your email marketing as effective as it can be, you need to spring clean your marketing database and remove the bad data. Delete duplicates, check in with subscribers to see if they are engaged with you, and update any outdated information.
Cleaning may not always be fun, but it will be profitable for your eCommerce store in the long run. Follow these techniques, and you will see a better ROI on your campaigns.
Springbot delivers an eCommerce marketing platform to small and medium businesses on BigCommerce, Magento, and Shopify to combines the power of marketing automation and marketing analytics. We integrate and make simple the data, content, and multi-channel marketing tools (social, online, email, etc.) you need to drive more traffic, conversions, and revenue. Check out our new free tool, the eCommerce Scorecard, that helps you measure your store against the competition.